Important Notice-It is that time of year when the area experiences a spike in crime due to the school year ending. So please keep these safety tips in mind.
- Report any suspicious behavior to 911
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times, even while driving.
- When parked, never leave your keys in the car. Close all the windows and the sunroof.
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Avoid leaving valuables inside your vehicle where passersby can see them.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle if it doesn’t have one. Thieves are reluctant to steal vehicles if they know the cars can be recovered quickly. Many insurers offer discounts for the types of systems listed below.
- Thieves prefer to work in the dark. Be particularly cautious at night about where you park your car. Park it in a well-lit area if possible.
- Look around. Be aware of your surroundings, especially in garages, parking lots and gas stations.
- Have your car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) etched on each of the windows. Car thieves want to get off cheap. They don’t want to go to the expense of replacing all the glass.